Preparatory work has started to resume construction of the stalled viaduct project in Changi, with a new contractor hired for the project

Preparatory work has started on a stalled viaduct project in Changi, as court proceedings against people involved in a 2017 fatal collapse which derailed the works get under way.

When The Straits Times visited the site yesterday afternoon, a handful of workers were seen doing minor clearing work on the surface, but none was seen on the uncompleted elevated viaduct structures.

One lane of a two-lane ramp leading to the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) towards the Central Expressway was cordoned off for the surface work.

The new contractor is Hwa Seng Builder, which clinched the deal to complete the stalled project for $95.6 million last year. It replaces Or Kim Peow (OKP), which landed the project for $94.6 million in 2015 but whose contract has since been terminated. The project includes erecting a viaduct linking the Tampines Expressway to the PIE.

The viaduct was supposed to be finished by the first quarter of next year, but is now expected to be completed by the first half of 2022.

Motorist Sarjeet Singh, whose daily commute takes him by the worksite, said he is glad that work is resuming on the delayed project.

"Better late than never," added the 53-year-old lawyer.

The previous builder and five men are facing charges over the collapse two years ago that killed one man and injured 10 others, at least one seriously.

Three of them - OKP group managing director Or Toh Wat, project engineer Wong Kiew Hai and project director Allen Yee - are scheduled to appear for a pre-trial conference tomorrow.

The qualified person from subcontractor CPG Consultants, Robert Arianto Tjandra, is also to appear for the conference on the same day.

Preparatory work has begun on a viaduct project in Changi that stalled after a collapse at the site two years ago killed one man and injured 10 others, at least one seriously. A handful of workers were seen doing minor clearing work on the surface yePreparatory work has begun on a viaduct project in Changi that stalled after a collapse at the site two years ago killed one man and injured 10 others, at least one seriously. A handful of workers were seen doing minor clearing work on the surface yesterday. ST PHOTO: CHRISTOPHER TAN

They are expected to go to trial in August.

Separately, the fifth man - Calibre Consulting Singapore executive Leong Sow Hon, who was the accredited checker for the project - has a pre-trial conference scheduled for next Friday.

Court documents allege that the company and Or were aware of cracks in the corbels of two piers of the viaduct, but had not taken measures to ensure the safety and health of employees.

Both the firm and Or were also charged with conducting unauthorised strengthening works to surrounding corbels six days before the collapse.

OKP was also accused of failing to stop works from taking place on the affected corbels, despite discovering fresh cracks on the structures that support the viaduct section.

Investigations revealed that a 40m section between two piers of the viaduct gave way, with preliminary findings pointing to corbels breaking under the weight of wet concrete.

After the collapse, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) revealed that cracks were found at 11 spots across the six viaduct sections at the site.

The LTA said structures deemed unsafe will be torn down.

When The Straits Times visited the site yesterday afternoon, a handful of workers were seen doing minor clearing work on the surface, but none was seen on the uncompleted elevated viaduct structures.

One lane of a two-lane ramp leading to the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) towards the Central Expressway was cordoned off for the surface work.

The new contractor is Hwa Seng Builder, which clinched the deal to complete the stalled project for $95.6 million last year. It replaces Or Kim Peow (OKP), which landed the project for $94.6 million in 2015 but whose contract has since been terminated. The project includes erecting a viaduct linking the Tampines Expressway to the PIE.

The viaduct was supposed to be finished by the first quarter of next year, but is now expected to be completed by the first half of 2022.

Motorist Sarjeet Singh, whose daily commute takes him by the worksite, said he is glad that work is resuming on the delayed project.

"Better late than never," added the 53-year-old lawyer.

The previous builder and five men are facing charges over the collapse two years ago that killed one man and injured 10 others, at least one seriously.

Three of them - OKP group managing director Or Toh Wat, project engineer Wong Kiew Hai and project director Allen Yee - are scheduled to appear for a pre-trial conference tomorrow.

The qualified person from subcontractor CPG Consultants, Robert Arianto Tjandra, is also to appear for the conference on the same day.

They are expected to go to trial in August.

Separately, the fifth man - Calibre Consulting Singapore executive Leong Sow Hon, who was the accredited checker for the project - has a pre-trial conference scheduled for next Friday.

Court documents allege that the company and Or were aware of cracks in the corbels of two piers of the viaduct, but had not taken measures to ensure the safety and health of employees.

Both the firm and Or were also charged with conducting unauthorised strengthening works to surrounding corbels six days before the collapse.

OKP was also accused of failing to stop works from taking place on the affected corbels, despite discovering fresh cracks on the structures that support the viaduct section.

Investigations revealed that a 40m section between two piers of the viaduct gave way, with preliminary findings pointing to corbels breaking under the weight of wet concrete.

After the collapse, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) revealed that cracks were found at 11 spots across the six viaduct sections at the site.

The LTA said structures deemed unsafe will be torn down.