Demolition works of parts of a failed PIE viaduct has begun, two years after a collapse killed one worker and injured 10 others

Work to demolish parts of a failed viaduct has started, two years after a collapse killed one worker and injured 10 others.

Checks by The Straits Times on Monday (June 24) revealed that at least half a dozen crossheads of the Upper Changi Pan-Island Expressway viaduct had been dismantled from their supporting pillars. Some of the pillars had also been demolished.

When contacted, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) repeated what it said last year, that parts of the project deemed unsafe would be pulled down, including crossheads - horizontal beams on top of a pillar which support an elevated structure such as a road.

It said a professional engineer would determine which parts were unsafe.

"LTA is unable to share specifics of the professional engineer's assessment as legal proceedings are ongoing," an LTA spokesman said.


On Monday, engineer Leong Sow Hon, 61, who was appointed by the LTA as an accredited checker for the project, pleaded guilty to failing to go through the detailed plans and design calculations for permanent corbels, or support structures.

Cases involving the project's previous main contractor, Or Kim Peow Contractors, and four other men linked to the incident are still pending. They are the qualified person from subcontractor CPG Consultants, Robert Arianto Tjandra, 46; project engineer Wong Kiew Hai, 31, and project director Allen Yee, 49, both from Or Kim Peow Contractors, as well as its group managing director Or Toh Wat, 51.

The new contractor is Hwa Seng Builder, which clinched the deal last year to complete the stalled project for $95.6 million.

The project is now slated to be completed in 2022, two years later than originally planned.