One person was killed and 16 others were injured after a bus collided into railings at Tuas Checkpoint early Tuesday morning (Feb 26)
1 killed, 16 injured in Tuas Checkpoint bus accident; heavy vehicle lane into Singapore reopened Traffic congestion on the Second Link bridge after the heavy vehicle lane was reopened at about 10am. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG

The victim is a 35-year-old female bus passenger and was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics, said the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). 

The accident blocked the heavy vehicle lane from about 4.20am, causing traffic to pile up as buses and lorries coming from Malaysia towards Singapore were unable to enter the checkpoint. The ICA subsequently closed the lane and the heavy vehicles were turned back to Malaysia.

At one point, motorists were advised to use Woodlands Checkpoint for both arrival and departure instead.

The lane was reopened at about 10am.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that it responded to a call for assistance at 4.25am. When its officers arrived at the accident scene in Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim, they saw a bus against the side railing of the flyover.

"The bus driver was trapped in his seat and had to be rescued by SCDF using hydraulic rescue equipment," it said.

Its officers also found two women at the foot of the flyover. One of the women suffered serious injuries and the other was pronounced dead at the scene by a paramedic.

The bus driver and 11 passengers were taken to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital and National University Hospital. There were four other passengers assessed with minor injuries and they declined to be taken to hospital.

A spokesman for technology company HP confirmed that some of its employees were on the bus involved in the accident.

She said: "Our thoughts are with those who were involved and are doing everything we can to provide assistance to affected employees. We are concurrently working with the authorities to get more information.”

Mr Dia Abdullah, 28, who was heading to Singapore from Malaysia for work on Tuesday morning, told The Straits Times that it took him 1½ hours to clear the checkpoint because of the traffic jam. It would usually take about 30 minutes at 5.30am, he said.

The operations executive said: “The traffic is usually clear for cars at that time but we were not able to move as they stopped us and were allowing buses and lorries to make a U-turn back to Malaysia.”

As he passed through the checkpoint, he saw that barricades had been set up in the heavy vehicle lane and there were no vehicles in the lane.

Police are investigating the incident.

In October 2018, a 35-year-old motorcyclist died in an accident with two other motorcycles at the Woodlands Checkpoint. The accident occurred at about 5.30am and left three others injured.

In June 2018, two died and three were injured in a traffic accident involving a trailer, lorry and three motorcycles at the Causeway. A 30-year-old trailer driver was arrested then for suspected drink driving, while a 23-year-old lorry driver, who was one of the injured, was arrested for allegedly causing death by rash act.